Monday, April 14, 2014

What is the value of a baccalaureate nursing education? (Part 1)

The Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice outlines the typical expected path for a BSN prepared nurse.  This reference states that Baccalaureate generalist education is the foundation upon which all graduate nursing education builds.  In addition, generalist nurse education occurs at a minimum in a baccalaureate degree nursing program.   In the university setting nursing, like every academic discipline, is grounded in discrete inquiry-based applications that are distinctive to that discipline (AACN, 2008).  

 Faculty have a responsibility to facilitate the translation of knowledge from a general studies curriculum into the practice of nursing.  Nursing faculty introduce nursing science and theories while guiding the student to develop an understanding of the discipline of nursing's unique perspective.  

What is your plan to continue your nursing education if you are an Associate Degree prepared nurse or a Diploma prepared nurse?  

What is holding you back from registering for an RN-BSN program? 

 Do you have questions that I can answer for you about the value of a baccalaureate degree?  I went the traditional route, like you, for my RN degree. I was an associate degree prepared nurse who transitioned into an RN-BSN program after I graduated and began my RN internship/residency.  This was just the beginning though...look for Part 2 to hear the rest of my story and my plan for my future...


No comments:

Post a Comment